Saturday, July 5, 2008

33. Murder in A-Major

The title: Murder in A-Major
The author: Morley Torgov
Publication: Rendezvous-Press, 2008
Got it from: Library

After attending a three hour workshop on trends in mystery writing, hosted by Mary Jane Maffini, I decided to branch out and try a few new mysteries.

The results so far have been kind of disappointing. Apart from the fabulous Amelia Peabody series, most mysteries elicit a tepid "meh" from me. I'm not sure why that is, but it's something I'll have to ruminate on.

I chose this book because of its interesting subject matter, the German music scene in the early 1800's. The Shumanns are the main characters, but there's also some Brahams, Liszt, etc. thrown in for good measure. Aside from learning about how pianos work, which was actually kind of interesting, I'm not sure how much I got out of this book. The female characters seemed to exist solely for the purpose of being sex objects and the male characters were fairly reprehensible. It's not that it was a bad book, it just didn't do it for me. C+

No comments: