Monday, February 1, 2010

Fortune Cookie

The title: Fortune Cookie
The author: Heather J. Wood
Publication: Tightrope Books, 2009
Got it from: SC, Xmas 2009

Ever so often I like to try something a little different, and this little novella was the perfect escape from my science/romance/scientific romance month. Coming it at just over 100 pages, it is the fictional diary of Robin Cory, a 24-year-old living in Montreal during 1989. I freely admit that I was initially interested in this book because I am absolutely, positively rabidly insane about the 1980's. (EEEEeee! The 1980's!) 1989 is the perfect year to set a novel about a young woman's awakenings about the world - was there ever a year so packed with important world events? Geez, I feel like singing Billy Joel style: "George Bush, Ayatollah and Rushdie, Exxon Valdez, Tiananmen Square, Berlin Wall, Tremblay v. Daigle, Montreal Massacre. We didn't start the fire..." Unfortunately, because the book was so short, we didn't get nearly enough insight into Robin's thoughts and feelings, which is a shame because she had an interesting voice. Still, it's a promising taste of good things from a new Canadian novelist. Ms. Wood, if you write another book set in Canada in the 1980's, starring a young female protagonist, I will buy it.

No comments: