Friday, March 28, 2008

Flora Kidd


Not a book review, but a bit of news: Flora Kidd, the world-famous Harlequin writer from the 1960's-1980's, who lived in my old hometown of Saint John, New Brunswick, passed away a few weeks ago. I didn't find out until my dad sent me her obituary this week.

Flora Kidd is of particular interest for me because of the work I did back in the fall of 2005 designing a database of her works for my digital libraries class. Such a project had never been attempted before and I spent a good part of my semester tracking down some of her rarer works from libraries and booksellers around the world. [My roommate at the time, J, can attest to the insane amount of labour that went into designing our databases, and the number of evenings we spent banging our heads against the wall. And she did hers on orange crate labels!] My database is still something I'm immensely proud of and to this day it remains the number one hit when you Google "Flora Kidd." I'm ashamed to say that I never actually got to read any of her books because I donated them to the library archives before I had a chance to.

If you're a fan of cheesy old skool romance covers, check it out. You'll be in heaven. My favourite is "Masquerade Marriage" because I swear to you that is David Hasselhoff on the cover. Really. Seriously. Or his evil twin.

No comments: